Open slots for IDL training class at APS

The Research Systems, Inc will be conducting an IDL (Interactive
Data Language) training class at the Advanced Photon Source
(details follow below) and there are currently about 5 seats
open. I especially invite members of the CATs to consider
enrolling since this is the last IDL training class that we will
organize for some time.

GENERAL:
Based on the responses I've received, my proposition is that we
will make a 4-day class which combines the syllabi from IDL100
and IDL200 - I suggest starting out with the beginners course
and then move into the intermediate level course. The exact
course content may be worked out later.

COURSE CONTENT:
Several people have requested the introductory course IDL100,
however, I feel that we should try to incorporate as much as
possible from course IDL200 to benefit the most from having
instructors here. However, if it turns out that the pace or
content will be too much, there is always a possibility to back
off once the class has started. More details on the class
content will follow later. Course syllabi were e-mailed earlier
- if you don't have them, let me know.

DATE: Tuesday January 12 - Friday January 15, '99 (9:00 am -
5:00 pm). Note: this is during an APS beam shutdown period per
most people's request.

PLACE: APS (room to be decided later)

FEE: Less than $800/person (based on 20 participants)

HARDWARE: 10 setups (shared by 2 people each) are needed. Expect
a combination of Unix workstations, PC (Windows-95/NT), and
MACs. Note: We need help from the participants to provide some
of these stations. More specific requests will follow later.
Please let me know already now if you can provide any of the
setups.

SOFTWARE: Latest IDL version (IDL v5.1 or v5.2). Will be
provided by RSI.

COURSE MATERIALS: Included in the fee and will be provided by
RSI. One book for each course IDL100 and IDL200 (we will request
both books).

INSTRUCTORS: David Fanning plus one more instructor.
---
Respond to dejus@aps.anl.gov if you need more information or if
you will participate. I take each 'sign-up' at this time as a
firm committment and your group will be billed for the course
fee by the APS Users Office.

Regards, Roger Dejus (dejus@aps.anl.gov).