Re: ACS Microstepper Drives

Guy,

If the reason you're microstepping is to take advantage of the bipolar drive's
ability to run 6 and 8-lead motors in series (thus producing more torque at
low speeds), then yes, you will need to re-wire the motor/drive connection.

This is what I see from your wiring lists that you sent.  The first list
details a connection scheme that, once working for the unipolar drive, will
also work with the bipolar microstepper.  Keep in mind that you're still only
driving one winding per phase, just as with the unipolar drive.

The second wiring list that you describe looks like a series connection.

The way that we have decided to handle this situation at the APS is, instead
of re-wiring the motor connector, to make a short adapter cable to connect
at the driver that turns a standard motor connection and cable into a series
connection.  This way you can easily go back to the unipolar drive if needed.

Kurt Goetze
APS/XFD/Beamline Controls