MVME712M replacement

Forwarded message from rjk@aps.anl.gov

----- Begin Included Message -----

From rjk@aps.anl.gov Fri May 10 12:11 CDT 1996
To: beamline@aps.anl.gov, _controls@aps.anl.gov
Subject: MVME712M replacement
Cc: epics_applications@aps.anl.gov, rjk@aps.anl.gov

Rich Koldenhoven - APS controls group.

	I've designed a VME module that replaces the MVME712M card ( the
interface to the MVME167 processor card ). Its features are these:

	1 - Able to communicate to any of the 4 serial ports on the MVME167.
	2 - No need for null modem adapter - on board switch.
	3 - Choice of fiber or db25 serial front panel I/O.
	4 - Ethernet communication.
	5 - Choice of db15 connector for ethernet or on board 10base-2.
	6 - Rx, Tx, Sysreset, and Vcc front panel status leds.

	7 - Able to assert a 200ms sysresest pulse to the sysreset pin on the
VME backplane. 3 CTL Y's in succesion will assert a sysreset. Any other sequence
will reset the CTL Y count. This feature is valuable for remote 167 resets in
case of any 'hung' IOC's.

	8 - Single wide VME card can be plugged into the front or back of IOC.
	9 - Can also be used to communicate to the MVME162 processor.
	10 - relatively cheap. aprox $300.

This module has been used for 4 years by various groups at APS with no problems.
Tim Mooney has asked for a # of modules and suggested that I put out E-mail to
let people know that this is available. I don't know the procedure to 'buy'
these cards but if you think you might want to use them - let me know. The last
I heard was that parts were free - labor is not. Each card takes approx 2 1/2
hours to assemble so you can figure about how much each costs. If you want to
assemble and test yourself, I can kit it together. If you do order let me know
if front or rear installation.

This card is known as the 'Doodle Card'.

Thanks -- Rich Koldenhoven   9264

----- End Included Message -----