Re: Diffraction Issues ...

>For everyone's amusement, here is a little history on Super, those 'two-
>letter' commands and macros (the lack thereof).

>I think that these dicussions are not being ambitious enough in thinking
>of a good user-interface for diffractometer control.  (There is better
>agreement about the functionality of such a program.)  I would like to
>see someone come up with a slick graphical interface that would allow
>one to 'drive' around 3-D reciprocal space and allow an increase of
>productivity over the existing text-based interface.  I'm not sure if
>such a thing exists, but what I am looking for would change our
>perception of the diffractometer as much as the original interactive
>'scattering' programs did.  Like Tim Mooney suggested, the issue may not
>be whether you can define such an interface, but rather can you pay the
>price of the software design. Talk is cheap, however and I would be interested
>in ideas along these lines.
>
>-Robert Fleming

I would very much like to be able to drive around in 3-D reciprocal space.
However, I would even more like to keep a text-based interface.  Because, a
text-based interface allows me to set up a sequence of scans and go to
sleep at night.  I find it very productive to take data while I sleep.  I
know that it is dangerous for me to drive on roads at 4 am, I suspect that
driving around 3-D reciprocal space at 4 am would also have its dangers.

Jon Tischler                                        Solid State Division
ORNL, Bldg 3025, MS-6030    internet  zzt@ornl.gov  	TEL  (615) 574-6505
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6030    bitnet    zzt@ornlstc   	FAX  (615) 574-4143