New User Interfaces...

Hi All:

I have to agree with R. Fleming, we should be looking to improve the user
interface dramatically if possible, but also consistently and usefully.  I
think macros and so on are a good idea for some but not for all users.  Too
much of the APS get-together in March forcussed on ideas that are good for
the power users in attendance but not so good for those outside the circle.
Part of what XDC is about is too allow different front-ends to be crafted using
the underlying services, i.e. by making heterogenious devices seem the same.
EPCIS too, follows this approach.  It's a good thing to do.

I think we will have at first a time of exploration aided by EPICS since it
provides a standard platform to host various front-ends.  In time one or few
may rise to the top based on their capabilities.  It may also be necessary to
write a faux-EPICS or a layer above EPICS to provide additional capabilities
not well suited for EPICS (we did agree that EPICS was not the answer to all
data acquisition needs) or for those how need/want to run the same software at
home.

Jonathan Schug