Re: autosave/restore software fails

I suggest that those people reporting failures should also include
information about exactly what their NFS server is - Solaris on SPARC,
Linux on x86 or PPC, HP-UX etc.  Some NFS version 2 implementations
(version 2 is what vxWorks speaks) do not guarantee that the client's data
has been written to non-volatile storage before they reply to an NFS write
request, and that leads to the danger of data loss and/or corruption if
the server goes down at the wrong moment.  Sun (who designed the NFS
protocol) do not permit their NFS servers to lie to clients about this,
but on some OS's the system administrator can configure the server to lie
so the client's NFS write operations complete faster.

I guess you should also confirm that you're actually using NFS rather than
FTP or RSH.

- Andrew
--
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.