NOBUGS attendance prospects

Dear folks,

The NOBUGS organizers need to know who's going.
You can find workshop details at
http://srs.dl.ac.uk/nobugs/nobugs3/index.html

Tim Mooney (mooney@aps.anl.gov)

To: john.barnes@nist.gov, akbiocca@lbl.gov, Bren@slac.stanford.edu, ron@ill.fr,
m.johnson@rl.ac.uk, g.j.kearley@iri.tudelft.nl, kirilov@nf.jinr.ru,
przemek@nist.gov, kracht@desy.de, mcgreevy@studsvik.uu.se, mooney@aps.anl.gov,
naglerse@ornl.gov, ROsborn@anl.gov, PUGLIESE@elettra.trieste.it,
svergun@embl-hamburg.de, sweet@bnl.gov, nobugs@dl.ac.uk
Subject: NOBUGS attendance prospects

Dear colleagues,

It's about time perhaps to ask you again for your advise regarding the
chances of reasonable attendance at NOBUGS 3. So far we have had only a
couple of registrations and a few suggestions for specific programme
items from a few of you in the advisory committee.

We are a little concerned about the expected attendance figures. Have we
aimed too high (~100) as in Chicago, is the registration fee to high
(250GBP), or is it that genuine interest in continuity of NOBUGSs is
much lower than what we beleived when we accepted the responsibility to
host it?

Our efforts for commercial sponsorship can not produce much fruit until
we can be more certain about attendance figures. As a result we are very
uncertain as to how much we would be able to subsidize speaker expenses
in a very lean year for DL.

Could you please help us by telling us how many people from your
establishments we can expect to participate under the following
scenarios:

1. Speaker subsidy of the order of 200GBP

2. No subsidy at all

It may be the case that the recent CANSAS and the Aut.Beam.Aligmment
workshops have absorbed most of the enthusiasm of prospective
participants.

If we do not have a reasonable assessment of attendance we might be
forced to consider  a reduction of the duration of the meeting or
shifting the venue from Chester to DL in an effort to reduce
participation costs. We might even have to consider postponing the
meeting until a more appropriate time in the future, if it is judged
internationally that such an event is of benefit to the SR and Neutron
software developers.

The Hotel at Chester want us to commit ourselves pretty soon.
Could we have your answers please, from all of you.

With kind regards

Manolis

--
Dr E.Pantos, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington WA4 4AD, UK.
Tel +44 1925 603275. Fax: +44 01925 603124.