RE: linear microstepper drives

we on sector 2 of SRI have taken delivery on numerous microsteppers from
ACS just recently.  we will be installing them soon, and looking at
grounding, shielding, and proximity issues to minimize the noise.

we have already used a compumotor 'brick' installed into a box with a
power supply.  the original assembly was unuseable due to serious noise
problems which Kurt Goetze eventually tamed quite well.  we have been
using a 2-axis version of his design for ~8-9 mos. without problems.  we
also have been using a few early modules of the ACS microstepper we
borrowed from tim.

both installations use the standard cabling running ~70-100 feet into the
2-ID FOE.  (we have step-paks outside, long cables to equipment.)  this
should maximize the problem of radiated noise, one would think.  we did
not experience especially bad problems, but there hasn't been a
definitive test done, as far as i know.

pete, what was your antenna configuration?  (cable construction, length,
etc.)

Dan Legnini                         legnini@aps.anl.gov

Advanced Photon Source-431B         630-252-5071
Argonne National Lab
9700 S Cass Ave
Argonne, IL  60439