Pocket synchrotron

From:	CARS3::RIVERS       'Mark Rivers' 29-AUG-1996 14:52:19.89
To:	BEAMLINE-CONTROLS@APS.ANL.GOV
CC:	RIVERS
Subj:	Pocket synchrotron

    Folks,

Not exactly a beamline controls question, but ...

I am trying to buy one of the 'pocket synchrotrons' we have used in the past.
These are Am 241 sources which shine 60-keV gamma rays onto selectable metal
foils (Cu, Rb, Mo, Ag, Ba, and Tb I believe).  These foils emit fluorescent
x-rays, which are used as the calibration source. With the turn of a dial one
could produce roughly 15 different x-ray energies from 8 to 60 keV, with count
rates of 1000-5000 cps.  Perfect for calibrating Si(Li) and Ge detectors.

Amersham used to make these, but apparently no longer do.  Anyone know where
one can find something equivalent?

                                   Mark