MVME162's, EPICS, HIDEOS, and VxWorks

I've been recommending the Motorola MVME162 as an attractive alternative
to the MVME167 for running EPICS.  The board is slightly faster, has more
memory, and has four Industry Pack slots.  Although earlier versions of
the 162 have run EPICS, they appear to have a cache problem that interferes
in their communication with a second 162 running hideos.  The symptom is
usually a hanging hideos processor.

There appears to be a separate problem in the VxWorks board-support package
that prevents the MVME162-532, at least, from booting VxWorks.

Both of these problems have been reported to Wind River Systems.  I still
think the 162 is the way to go, but I wouldn't rely on it this month.

Tim Mooney