IDL & XOP discussions

FYI,
Tim Mooney

----- Begin Included Message -----

From dejus@sleipner.aps3.anl.gov Fri Feb 16 15:33 CST 1996
To: xop-user@sleipner
Subject: IDL & XOP discussions

Two representatives from Research Systems, INC (Jim Lewonski, Account Manager,
and Anne Fegley, Systems Engineer) are visiting the APS on Tuesday February 20,
between 9 am - noon to discuss IDL, embedded IDL for XOP, and any technical
question you might have regarding IDL (status of HDF for data storage,
supported platforms, licensing issues, on-site training, etc.). I invite
everyone who has an interest in IDL to be there. I'll provide the final notes
on Monday about the location, either the Bldg. 401 or one of the LOM conference
room. This is the time to voice your concerns about IDL because they know that
the APS is potentially a big customer, and I would think they are susceptible
to our concerns.

Just a few words about embedded IDL: This is a ready-to-run executable,
prepared by the RSI, to be used 'free' without an IDL license. It can be
applied to any user application written in IDL, and I would like to make use of
this service for the XOP program. By doing this, we would free the developers
licenses currently being checked out every time a user is using the XOP
program, which in a way, is a waste of resources. The developers licenses
should be used (and reserved) primarily by the application programmers of IDL.

The word 'free' means we can distribute the executable of XOP to users with no
IDL licenses (within some limitations...?, will learn more on Tuesday), but
initially we (the APS and ESRF) will have to pay a license fee. This fee is
partially based on how many potential users there are.

Therefore, PLEASE RESPOND to this message by e-mail to dejus@aps.anl.gov if you
either use or you intend to use XOP within the next 6 months.
Also, please notify any person who did not receive this e-mail and forward
their e-mail addresses to me so that I can add them to the XOP mailing list.
Any interested CAT members? Please feel free to forward this to any CAT member
as well.

-Roger. (dejus@aps.anl.gov).

----- End Included Message -----