Re: Minutes of the December 5 Beamline Controls meeting

A couple of minor updates to previous posted minutes:

> CAT updates
>   UNICAT (Pete Jemian)
>     - wants Software Exchange to keep current on EPICS releases

Latest release on SX is R3.12Beta8
Some new code is in base now (e.g. device support for AVME 9440 board)
Easier to modernize now, before a whole bunch of user get
very dependent on a particular release.

>     - wants latest version of Tcl/TK (7.4/4.1) used for EPICS clients

That should read 'whatever is the latest `stable' version.'
Presently, Tcl 7.4 / Tk 4.0

>     - wants EPICS X-based tools to use X11/R6

Or at least not specifically require X11R5, such as does MEDM.

>     - uses MVME 162-042 for ioc's.  MVME162 does not build EPICS cleanly, need
>         to also #define MVME 167

In config/CONFIG_SITE, adjust the line to read
        BUILD_ARCHS=$(HOST_ARCH) mv167 mv162

>     - would like an APS sitewide licence for Sun's C compilers, which are the
>         only supported compilers for that platform

That's not quite what was meant.

Distribution of precompiled binaries would eliminate the
need for CATs to compile EPICS.  Marty pointed out that the EPICS
philosophy is to use the default compiler on the system.
For SunOS4, the default is acc which comes with the system.
For Solaris 2.x, Sun quit shipping a compiler with the system but
instead, sells it separately.  That compiler is the 'default.'
A low-cost alternative is the GNU compiler --- EPICS does not use that one
on Solaris.  It would save CATs money if either:
	1] precompiled binaries were available
	2] CATs could buy into an APS sitewide license for the default C

By the way, statement #2 applies to CAT interest in IDL as well.

>     - has had trouble with some OMS VME58-8 cards -- latest working version of
>         firmware is 1.8
>     - would like support for OMS VME58-8s, a DC servo controller card

This may not be necessary, after review of the PMAC from Delta Tau by SBC-CAT

>     - developed device support for the Acromag AVME 9440-i-L DIO card

Not quite.
EPICS device support was developed by Greg Nawrocki.
This support has been included in the R3.12.2/base distribution.
I just added record support and a trivial MEDM screen.

>     - would like a short course on Solaris system administration
>     - would like XFD to distribute a standard tar'ed up release of EPICS for
>         SunOS and Solaris
>     - would like the APS to provide people to help with Solaris and EPICS.
>         Tim
>         Mooney and Marty Kraimer pointed out how understaffed ASD and XFD are,
>         but suggested that the CATS need to make their needs known ;-)

Or even better would be to have a SysAdmin available to
help on the thornier issues of Sun SysAdmin tasks.

A discussion ensued wherein the notion was raised of APS helping the
CATs with a basic (common) configuration for Sun platforms.
APS is shifting to Solaris 2.4.  The CATs could well-benefit from
experience gained during the course of this shift.
It was left to the CATs to request this support, if they want it.
With louder voices.  :)

Pete