Re: ATTN Platform Developers

> From winans@aps.anl.gov Wed Dec 13 09:31:06 1995
> Subject: Re: ATTN Platform Developers
>
> >        Again, it would convenient to have pointers in one place, and
> >        you could have pointers to your local copies as well as to the
> >        standard master sites.  That way APS is not responsible for
> >        having the very latest version.  I would keep only the original
> >        xxx.tar.Z.
>
> I would like to see the EPICS distributions explicitly state what versions
> of net-sourced things it was built and/or tested with.  I would also like
> to see those tool versions made available at the EPICS distribution sites (if
> reasonable and/or possible.)  This should make it easier for the new guys that
> might not know the first thing about some abscure thing that they may not know
> exists, how to build or even care about.

> --John Winans

I agree.  This supports my earlier statement
to beamline_controls this AM.

If explicit versions of extra stuff necessary to build
epics/exten/xyzExten were stated, that would save mucho time for CATs
just now configuring a new system.  Local distribution of configured
'extra stuff' (e.g. perl above) is an extra, but maybe just a pointer
as to where to find the right 'extra stuff' is all that's needed.  Now,
if that 'extra stuff' is no longer available, the developer of xyzExten
should provide it (or update and include the newer version).

Pete
Jemian@anl.gov