Serial Devices Under Linux

I thought I would let people know that I have installed a 16 port serial
interface box on my Linux prototype system.  (Our Multivac vacuum
controllers as well as the Koyo PLC's use serial interfaces).  This is
a box made by Boca and comes with an interface card plus a mountable
box with each of the ports available on an RJ45 connector.  Device
support is already built into the Linux kernel.  The box
plus interface card is $235.  This is a 'dumb' box so it requires that
the CPU read each byte from the UARTS; however, for our serial monitoring
application, this is just fine.  A flat cable plus DB25 connector is
also available for $7.50 per cable/connector pair.

- John

--
John Quintana                          Internet email: jpq@nwu.edu
DND-CAT Synchrotron Research Center    Voice Phone: (708) 252-0223