RE: EPS Systems and PLC's

John Quintana writes:

> I'm sure other people were stunned at the last TWG meeting at the
> cost estimates of SRI-CATS Equipment Protection System.  Since a
> fair chunk of change was tied up in the actual PLC that they were
> using, I was wondering if anyone was considering using a microPLC.
> Something line the Allen-Bradley MicroLogiz 1000 or the
> GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro?

CARS is planning on using the Allen-Bradley PLC-500. The cost of a system for
one beamline, with controller, VME-interface, some local I/O and some remote
I/O is about $5,000, less than half the cost of the PLC-5 systems which the
APS uses.  I am looking into whether the existing EPICS drivers will work on
this system.

Mark Rivers                             (312) 702-2279 (office)
CARS                                    (312) 702-9951 (secretary)
Univ. of Chicago                        (312) 702-5454 (FAX)
5640 S. Ellis Ave.                      (708) 922-0499 (home)
Chicago, IL 60637                       rivers@cars3.uchicago.edu (Internet)