Re: OMS VME-8 motor controllers: PAL upgrades

>Are you sure about this? My reading of the OMS manual is that the OMS board
>does not 'broadcast' its position, but rather only responds to specific
>queries for position (RP), status (RA, QA), etc. of the motors. If you are
>moving lots of motors simultaneously, then each record will indeed be
>processing at 10 Hz, and requesting the motor status from the board at this
>rate. However, I would not call this a 'message storm', since the OMS board is
>only sending out status in response to specific query requests.

This may well be the case, but in the current implementation of the motor
record and/or device support which we obtained from Tim Mooney as part of the
standard CAT equipment/software loan functions as I describe.

It 'polls' the OMS board, more or less, and sends messages from the IOC when
motors are in motion. Tim was kind enough to come over to the BESSRC
prototype Huber area and re-tune the record support to reduce the
broadcast storms . . . but now the latency is even higher than it was
before.

*sigh*