Re: autosave/restore software fails

Dan Legnini is right.

I ask,
Is the autosave/restore software the best
that can be done?
It's a pitiful world if that is the case.

That software is responsible for lost beam
time.  Its failures also open the potential
for damage to instruments from incorrectly
restored settings, aside from just being a
general nuisance when it malfunctions.

Whether the problems arise from corrupted
*.sav files or from the restore incorrectly reading
the *.sav files on reboot or an inability
to restore some settings consistently,
THE AUTOSAVE/RESTORE SOFTWARE HAS TO BE FIXED!

The process of *.sav vs *.savB vs .save.bu files
reveals one type of problem that is designed into
the system.

Is there any consistency check on the file
as-written to verify that it is correct?

This is fundamental, facility-level software
upon which we all depend.  It's got to work right!

Who will take up the job and fix this?

Pete