Workflow management software for beam time proposals and reports

Dear folks,  Forwarded from the NOBUGS mailing list.
Tim Mooney

To: nobugs@dl.ac.uk
Subject: Workflow management software for beam time proposals and reports

Dear colleages

With the startup of our new neutron source FRM-II at Garching, Germany
we are looking for a web based system to apply, allocate and manage beam
time request from external and internal users. A system similar to the
one Roberto Pugliese has presented on the last NOBUGS workshop (ELETTRA
Virtual User Office) is likely to fit our needs.
At our institute, however, we do not have any experience with oracle
databases and it is not likely that we will learn this in near
future. We have some experience in web based systems with LAMP (Linux,
Apache, MySql, PHP). It should be anyhow a open source based (preferably
GPL) system.
Some basic features should include:
- Proposal submission
- Reviewing of proposals
- Beam time allocation
- Allocation of sample environment
- User statistics
- Instrument statistics
- ....

The system should be entirely web based but allow to print out the
proposals if requested. It might be based on a 'content management
system' like Midgard or Zope.

Any information how these tasks are managed at the user facilities is
appreciated. Especially we are looking for a collaboration to set up
such a user friendly system.

with best regards
Juergen Neuhaus

Juergen Neuhaus  Technische Universitaet Muenchen    Tel.: (+49) 89 2891 2187
ZBE FRM-II       D-85747 Garching, Germany           Fax.: (+49) 89 2891 2112
http://www.frm2.tu-muenchen.de/

Tim Mooney (mooney@aps.anl.gov) (630)252-5417
Beamline Controls & Data Acquisition Group
Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Lab