Re: stepping motor driver, 8-pack, Phytron-ECT

Related comments:

We use ACS stepper drives extensively in Sector2. While both the
unipolar and bipolar
half/full-step drives are very reliable, we've had very disappointing results
with ACS microstepper drives. They work fine when they do work and have
not given us
many noise headaches, but they are very sensitive to power-cycling, hot-plugging
motors, etc., i.e. the usual things one should not do but which still occur.
In particular, the microstepper drives frequently fail if one does not switch
off their motor current switches before switching off or on the
ACS Step-Pak crate power. The failure mode usually manifests as a 'busy' light
that either always stays on or off, and no stepper function. Apparently
the failures
involve the large nonstandard chip in each module, which is easy for ACS
to replace
but difficult to troubleshoot on-site.

When microstepping is required we've resorted to Compu-Motor OEM units
which are
very quiet, don't need extra cooling for 6A/phase motors, and are
utterly dependable
(they should be, they cost much more).

On the other hand, in addition to ACS unipolar drives we are very happy with
their bipolar units for our growing number of low-current two-phase
motor-driven stages, e.g. Newport's MFN series, in combination with
current-limiting resistors. Unipolar dives will not work with such
(4-lead) motors.
One case in point: we use a tiny 8-mm diameter 24-step 2-phase motor
rated at
60 mA/phase (the dropping resistors are 1K ohms!).

-- Ian