Re: Reply to Ben Ocko re: pseudomotors

We've been very happy with MX as a layer above EPICS and other devices.
It's flexible and more easily changed than crate level programming. The
only limitation (which hasn't been a problem) is that we run it on our
workstation instead of in the crate, so tcp/ip latencies could be an
issue for some control problems. But in that case we push the fast stuff
down into the crate or into hardware.

MX is a very useful tool, especially in its client/server incarnation, it
and keeps getting better. It's callable from TCL/TK and supports scripting
out of the box.

Definitely worth a look.

grant

ps ask Bill Lavender for details