Beamline Controls Mini Workshop & Tutorial session

Dear folks,

Here's DRAFT 2 of the agenda for the upcoming mini workshop.  Day 1 is
tutorial; day 2 is news.  In my haste, I've probably left out some
important topics; comments are welcome.  If you plan to attend and
haven't already told us, please email me and cc Julie Wulf
(jmwulf@aps.anl.gov).

Tim Mooney (mooney@aps.anl.gov)
Beamline Controls & Data Acquisition Group
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne National Lab

			APS Beamline Controls Mini Workshop
			November 4-5, 1996
			DRAFT AGENDA

Monday, 10/4/96 -- Tutorial
===========================
In this session, we plan to start with a nearly pristine workstation
and end with a complete, working beamline-control system.

	Installing VxWorks
	Installing statically linked EPICS base and extensions
	Installing and building Hideos
	Installing and building the XFD Standard Application
		- unix .login/.cshrc files, environment variables, etc.
		- connection to EPICS base
		- setting the per-station prefix
		- station-specific EPICS object and database files
		- crate startup file, resource file, VxWorks env. variables
		- NFS mounting disks
		- connecting to VME-processor's console port
		- VxWorks boot parameters
		- save/restore files
		- autosave/restore files
		- data-catcher environment-PV file
		- connection to Hideos tree

	Configuring, installing, and using beamline-control hardware
		- MVME167 crate controller
		- MVME162-532 crate controller/intelligent IP carrier
		- MVME712M transition module, ethernet transceiver
		- MVME162-02 intelligent IP carrier
		- Joerger VSC8/16 (preset scaler)
		- Canberra AIM MCA & ADC modules (multichannel analyzer)
		- GreenSprings serial breakout panel
		- OMS VME58 motor controller
		- XFD VMExxx transition board, misc. cabling
		- StepPack motor drivers
		- Highland Technology motor controller/driver

	Configuring and using XFD stdApp
		- motors
			- allstop/alldone
			- disable
		- scalers
		- MCA
		- scan support
			- alldone database, positioner- & detector-wait records
			- configuring linear, table-driven, and on-the-fly scans
			- per-positioner scan-parameter sets
			- installing and running the data catcher
		- optical-table support
		- high-heat-load monochromator support
		- slit support
		- user-filter
		- userCalc

Tuesday, 10/5/96 -- News & demos
================================
	- EPICS 3.13
	- Hideos serial device support
	- MCA with ROI support
	- EPICS learning station
	- autosave/restore, BURT compare
	- userCalc for impromptu coordinated motions
	- scan support in XFD stdApp
	- beamline tour (SRI, SBC, others?)
	- machine-status panel (Ned Arnold)
	- Using the MVME162-532 to run EPICS [and Hideos]
		- VxWorks patches
		- downloading VxWorks bootrom into flash memory
	- First impressions of ScriptEase (c-subset interpreter/embeddable macro
	  language).
	- Latest revision of Spec-on-EPICS

discussion session
------------------
	- latest news on HDF, APS data-file format
	- recent discussions with Wind River Systems
	- software sharing/standardization revisited

Both days
=========
No-host demonstration system:
	- motors (VME58, StepPack, Highland ustepper)
	- VME58 transition board & emergency-stop hardware
	- optical table (maybe no actual table)
	- theta/two-theta drive (maybe no actual rotation stages)
	- scalers
	- Nova NIM V/F converter
	- MVME162-532 running EPICS (and Hideos?)
	- Canberra AIM MCA and ADC
	- Stanford current preamplifier
	- Keithley DMM thermistor measurement
	- Oriel Encoder Mike (0.1 um resolution piezo drive)
	- Systran DAC
	- Acromag ADC
	- Laser Doppler Displacement Meter (maybe)
	- Moller-Wedel scanning autocollimator (maybe)
	- debugging serial communication (Measurement & Control
	  Products' 'BitView' portable serial analyzer.)
	- Keithley 428 programmable current amplifier
	- BURT parameter save/restore/compare
	- autosave/restore
	- scan software & data catcher
	- strip-chart software