Labview clients for EPICS

forwarded from EPICS tech-talk...

----- Begin Included Message -----

From CATimossi@lbl.gov Fri Dec  8 15:26 CST 1995
To: TECH-TALK@aps.anl.gov
Subject: Labview clients for EPICS
Cc: wright@luke.atdiv.lanl.gov, gillies@noao.edu, Eddie_Moler@macmail.lbl.gov

Here is a summary of what I've done and what I've found out about
using Labview to build EPICS clients.

For the Sun, LV can easily link to Sun shared object files (or Windows
DLL's) using the 'Call Library Function' mechanism. In fact, using this
mechanism, I was able to take a Labview VI that I had for NT that
implements Simple Channel Access and read it with the Sun version. The only
change I had to make was to change the name and location of the library
and build an SCA shared object file. I used LV 3.1 and Sun acc on SunOs
4.1.4.

If you want to link LV to EZCA, Mark Rivers (RIVERS@cars3.uchicago.edu)
suggests that ezca is already built as a shared object.

Rozelle Wright (wright@luke.atdiv.lanl.gov) has managed to link LV on a
Macintosh using Guy Jennings' port of channel access. I think she
actually used the LV code interface node (CIN) method for linking
to external libraries.

Kim Gillies (gillies@noao.edu) was big help in sharing a nice make file
for building libCa/libCom as shared objects for Solaris which is easily
modified for SunOS. Though it turns out that if you use something like SCA,
EZCA, or your own wrapper for CA, you can statically link to libCA & libCom,
only the wrapper needs to be a shared object.

Chris

----- End Included Message -----