APS Beamline Controls Workshop, June 21-23, 1995

The APS Experimental Facilities Division plans to host a three-day
workshop on Beamline Controls June 21-23, 1995, at Argonne National
Laboratory.  Presentations, demonstrations, and discussion topics are
solicited.

The focus of this workshop will be on software, electronic hardware,
and related standards intended for use in controlling and acquiring
data from synchrotron-radiation beamlines and x-ray enclosures.
Although EPICS-related developments seem likely to dominate the
workshop, given the broad support the EPICS tool kit has received among
APS-affiliated developers, we do not intend for this to be an EPICS
workshop.

Please pass this notice on to anyone you know who is currently involved
in synchrotron-radiation software.  Nobody wants this workshop
restricted to those whose email addresses I'm able to hunt down.

If you plan to attend, please reply to Julie Wulf
(julie_wulf@qmgate.anl.gov) with both your email and USMail address, so
we can send future notices and a more formal announcement to you.

If you'd like to present, please also send me a description of what
you'd like to present, how much time it will require, and what medium
(talk, demonstration, poster, discussion) seems most appropriate.

Apologies to CHESS developers: I realize this workshop overlaps the
second day of your User's Meeting.  We tried unsuccessfully to work
around it.  If you indicate topics of special interest to you, we'll
schedule them late in the week.

The following exceptionally tentative and incomplete program is
intended mostly to start discussion and mark out broad areas of
interest.

	EXCEPTIONALLY TENTATIVE AND INCOMPLETE PROGRAM

Applications/demonstrations
---------------------------
	End-user scripting tools
		Guy Jennings, BESSRC-CAT

	Manual controls
		John Quintana, DND-CAT

	tcl-dp based communication with ISA hardware
		John Quintana, DND-CAT

	EPICS support for IndustryPack hardware

	DC-servo support
		(Tom Coleman, SBC-CAT?)

	CAMAC support in EPICS
		(Mark Rivers, CARS-CAT?)

EPICS on alternative platforms
------------------------------
	LINUX
		John Quintana, DND-CAT

	IRIX, Solaris
		(Mark Rivers, CARS-CAT?)

	HP/UX
		(Bob Daly, SBC-CAT?)

Equipment protection
--------------------
	Programmable Logic Controllers
		Jim Minich

Discussion topics
	The APS data-file format
		(Jon Tischler, UNI-CAT?)

	EXAFS data-acquisition software specifications
		(Grant Bunker, BIO-CAT?)

Tim Mooney (mooney@aps.anl.gov)
Beamline Controls and Data Acquisition Group
Experimental Facilities Division
Advanced Photon Source