Cheaper Allen-Bradley PLCs

Folks,

CARS is planning to use the Allen-Bradley SLC-500 for our EPS.

An example complete SLC-500 system with remote I/O would require

    SLC 5/03    PLC controller      $1,090
    1746-A7     7 slot chassis         290
    1746-P2     5A power supply        395
    1747-SN     Remote I/O scanner     995
    1747-DCM    Direct Communications  795
                Module

    BASIC SYSTEM                    $3,565

The cheapest PLC-5 basic system will probably cost nearly twice this much.

    For remote I/O:
    1791        Remote I/O block,     $900
                32 I/O points

    For EPICS interface (this can connect to many SLC-500 crates):
    6008-SV     VME-bus I/O scanner $1,795

One-time purchase of 1747-PA2E programming software, $1,250.

Note that these are list prices and the University gets substantial discounts.

The local A/B rep is sending us the manual for the 1747 DCM so that we can
work with Marty Kraimer to see if it is compatible with the PLC/5 DCM.  I am
guessing that it is, and thus that the existing EPICS driver software will
work.

We will discuss this at the Beamline Controls meeting next week (May 17).

Please send me additional suggestions for agenda topics.

I plan to send out a preliminary agenda tomorrow.

                                    Mark Rivers