Re: On beamline motor control

We have at CHESS a number of 'knob' boxes.  Over the past 6 years they have
receive practically no use and sit somewhere in a box.  Tweeking motors by
computer works much better when large numbers of motors are involved as it's
much easier to find the computer keyboard than the right little box on a
crowded table. Keyboards are also much cheaper and easier to replace when
they break. I guess if you only have one or two motors a manual box would be
ok, but then how would the computer know where the motor is?

Dr. Keith Brister                          (607) 255-0920
Staff Scientist                            (607) 255-9001 (fax)
CHESS                                      kb22@cornell.edu
Wilson Lab
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853