handheld IR serial controllers

Not to beat a dead horse, but...
If people are thinking of implementing their own handheld IR
controllers using serial links, most programmable HP calculators
can do infrared serial transfers (my HP48 even supports kermit
transfers). You can get these suckers for around 100 bucks or
less, and they could readily be programmed so the function keys
would do what you want (as well as being capable calculators as well).
The programs are easily transferred between units by IR or wire.
They are rugged and easily replaced.

If people are serious about the IR control capability I think users
could be trusted not to walk off with them (sign them out), and
it could be the simplest solution.

Grant Bunker