Warning - problem with OMS VME-8 motor controllers

    Folks,

Tim Mooney and I have found that the latest batch of Oregon Micro Systems
VME8-8 motor controllers hang the entire VME crate. This is true of 4 out of 5
boards, so is likely a design problem, not an isolated failure.

OMS does tests at the factory, but the problem may be that they have not
tested them with the MV167 CPU boards we use. It may be a timing problem.

The problem is under investigation. Users would be well advised not to order
any new VME8 boards until the problem is resolved.

I have also learned that OMS has designed a new VME motor controller with some
nice features compared to the VME8.

    - Controls either DC motors, stepper motors, or both from one board.
    - Dual port RAM for rapid communication of motor status - no need to send
      and retrieve strings as with the VME8.

The PC version of this new board is shipping. The VME version is due 'in a
couple of months'.  I would suggest users buying the new board when
possible, which should put some pressure on OMS to get it shipping soon.

                                   Mark