Re: Data formats

>I hope Tim can prepare a brief workshop summary which includes the names
>and members of the subgroups and post it here.
>
>There is a nice paper which summarizes CDF, HDF, netCDF and PDB data formats:
>'Software for Portable Scientific Data Management', Computers in Physics, V7,
>1993, p304-308. There is a summary table of the features of each. I am in the
>process of re-typing this table so I can post to this group.
>
>                                   Mark

There is also an ISO standard 'ISO 8211, Specification of a data
descriptive file for information interchange'.  This standard is intended
for transmitting information (of all kinds, including scientific) between
different computers.  It does have some binaray provisions, but not nearly
as much as HDF.

Jon

Jon Tischler                                        Solid State Division
ORNL, Bldg 3025, MS-6030    internet  zzt@ornl.gov  	TEL  (615) 574-6505
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6030    bitnet    zzt@ornlstc   	FAX  (615) 574-4143